Faculty Policies Committee
August 20, 2001
Present: Barbara Coleman, Bill Dodd, Beth Fanning, Jim Garvey, Peggy Geren, Paul Harris (chair), Andy Hauger, Donna Hobbs, Wayne Mixon, Jana Sandarg, Bruce Saul
Acting Secretary: Beth Fanning
1. The minutes of May 7 were approved.
2. The Committee endorsed the reorganization of the Faculty Manual presented by Ed. Pettit.
3. The chair will distribute, for discussion at the August 27 meeting, copies of an AAUP 2001 Survey on Higher Education Governance to which the faculty has been asked to respond.
4. The committee discussed concerns about compensation of part time faculty. The committee will submit several recommendations discussed last year to the administration:
that part time faculty be issued regular faculty parking tags (already underway),
that part time faculty be issued regular ID cards,
that part time faculty be included in the Personnel Directory and be included on the e-mail list
5. The chair will contact Janice Williams, chair of last year’s Cullum Committee, to learn if that group had recommendations for Cullum 2003.
6. In response to a concern raised by Dr. Bompart, Dr. Geren will ask Dean Freeman to clarify the charges of and the relationship between the Curriculum Committee of the Teacher Education Council and the College of Education Curriculum Committee.
7. Dr. Saul will ask the current faculty secretary if he could provide the FPC with a job description for the faculty secretary and if he could recommend someone who might succeed him.
The meeting adjourned at 4:20.