Faculty Policies Committee
August 27, 2001
Present: Roxann Bustos (secretary), Barbara Coleman, Bill Dodd, Beth Fanning, Jim Garvey, Peggy Ruth Geren, Paul Harris (chair), Andy Hauger, Donna Hobbs, Bruce Saul, Wayne Mixon, Jana Sandarg
1. The minutes of the August 20 meeting were approved with minor corrections.
2. Paul Harris reported that Jeff Heck, Cullum 2002 Chair, said a Cullum 2003 topic has not been chosen; he is trying to contact Janice Williams. Bill Dodd will look at the committee preference form to see if the Cullum Committee information was included.
3. Bruce Saul distributed copies of the Faculty Secretary job description prepared by Russ Stulken. Peggy Ruth Gerren mentioned the name of a possible candidate suggested by Dean Freeman. Paul Harris will contact the other deans to solicit suggestions. If no one is found, he will send an e-mail to the faculty listserv.
4. Paul Harris pointed out that we need to verify exactly what has already happened regarding the recommendations of the previous FPC. Bruce Saul will ask Lee Ann Caldwell to come to the next FPC meeting to review. Paul will mention our concerns regarding the ID card and parking stickers for part-time faculty to the President and Vice President when he meets with them.
5. Andy Hauger reported that he had contacted Computer Services about getting the FPC minutes online. He has applied for a web page account and will set up an FPC web page. The secretary will forward approved minutes to him to put online. The FPC web page will be similar to that of the IT Committee.
6. Peggy Ruth Gerren reported that the Teacher Education Council serves the same purpose as the College of Education Curriculum Committee; therefore, we can propose to eliminate the latter. Peggy Ruth will draft a memo for Paul to send to Dean Freeman asking if he would like to propose this.
7. Discussion of the AAUP 2001 Survey on Higher Education Governance brought up minor suggestions for changes to the responses drafted by Ed Pettit. Paul Harris will take our comments to Ed and accept his decision.
8. Peggy Ruth Gerren reported that Dean Freeman would like to come talk to the FPC about voting procedures. He thinks each College should elect their own representatives. Paul Harris will invite him to come to a future meeting to present his thoughts.
9. Wayne Mixon, Jana Sandarg, and Paul Harris met with the President to make arrangements for the New Faculty Luncheon. It will be on September 14 at noon at the Pinnacle Club. Coat and tie is required for men.
The meeting was adjourned at 4:10 P.M. The next meeting will be Monday, September 10 at 3:00 p.m