Faculty Policies Committee
October 15, 2001
Present: Roxann Bustos (secretary), Barbara Coleman, Bill Dodd, Beth Fanning, Jim Garvey, Peggy Ruth Geren, Paul Harris (chair), Andy Hauger, Donna Hobbs, Wayne Mixon, Bruce Saul
The minutes of the October 8 meeting were approved.
1. Paul Harris distributed memos and a proposed Intellectual Property agreement for Fine Arts from Jonathan Leightner. We will discuss these at the next meeting
2. Teaching/Semester Schedule:
· Bruce Saul found the holiday dates are set by the Board of Regents
· Bill Dodd said Katherine Sweeney said the only thing we could do to get the full Wednesday before Thanksgiving as vacation is to start and end later, which would push graduation to the Saturday before Christmas. He will clarify the possible class start date with her and will ask about the possibility of the Faculty Policies Committee working with the exam schedule.
3. Faculty Secretary: Paul has not heard from the deans and will follow up with the President and VPAA.
4. Part-Time Faculty: Paul read an e-mail from Fred Barnebei reporting that ID cards are being ordered for part-time faculty; they will have to be validated each semester at Student Activities. When Michelle sends out the directory listing information to departments, she will include a reminder about part-time faculty. Reminders from VP Bompart and the Deans would also be helpful
5. New Business:
· Bill Dodd received an inquiry from a faculty member about how “collegiality” became part of the promotion and tenure qualifications. He will ask Russ Stulken to check the faculty meeting minutes.
· Donna Hobbs mentioned hearing a discussion regarding the lack of faculty advocacy. Paul will periodically send an e-mail to the faculty list mentioning the availability of the FPC minutes and encouraging faculty input on issues.
The meeting adjourned at 4:00 P.M.