Faculty Policies Committee
October 1, 2001
Present: Roxann Bustos (secretary), Barbara Coleman, Bill Dodd, Beth Fanning, Jim Garvey, Peggy Ruth Geren, Paul Harris (chair), Andy Hauger, Donna Hobbs, Bruce Saul, Wayne Mixon, Jana Sandarg
The minutes of the September 24 meeting were approved.
1. Jana Sandarg suggested that the FPC meeting agenda be made available to all faculty, not just FPC members. A motion was made and passed that sending the agenda to all faculty become a regular procedure. There was a discussion about how procedures like this are passed on to future committees. Paul Harris and Roxann Bustos will get together to set up a notebook with essential items to be passed on from FPC chair to chair to insure continuity.
2. Andy Hauger reported that the Faculty Policies webpage is up and running.
3. Graduate Council and SACS Recommendations: Paul Harris distributed a memo from Mark Fissel outlining SACS Suggestions and Recommendations regarding the Graduate Council. Paul will discuss it with Mark.
4. Part-Time Faculty:
· VP Bompart and Barnabei are concerned that adding part-time faculty to the personnel directory will make it too large; they recommend part-time faculty be included on departmental web pages. FPC recommends including them in the directory for one year to see if it is workable, and at the same time putting them on the departmental web pages. Paul will ask the Deans to ask Department Chairs to implement this.
· VP Barnabei said they can provide part-time faculty with photo id cards in a different color than regular faculty, to be valid for one year. Paul will tell him FPC recommends using stickers for updating.
· Parking decal recommendation need to be presented to the Parking Advisory Team. Peggy Ruth Geren is still looking for a PAT member from the College of Education.
5. FPC Elections:
· President Bloodworth pointed out that there are numerous faculty not affiliated with any College. A strength of our current system is that it looks at the faculty as a whole.
· Committee members have found that of current faculty, 154 are in the College of Arts and Sciences, 29 are in the College of Education, 22 are in the College of Business, and 70 are not in any College.
· Donna Hobbs will ask Bruce Saul to bring a ballot to the next committee meeting to see whether it may be confusing voters about who is eligible for the at-large seats.
6. Intellectual Properties: Paul distributed a memo from VP Bompart interpreting Vice Chancellor Robyn Crittenden’s comments on the Intellectual Properties Agreement. Paul will ask Jonathan Leightner, Chair of the Intellectual Properties Committee, to draw up an amendment to our current policy complying with the changes suggested.
7. Faculty P & T: Jim Garvey read a proposed letter to be sent to the faculty members who had concerns about the limits on P & T documentation. He will make minor changes suggested and forward it to Paul to send out.
8. Board of Regents Policy changes: Bill Dodd read President Bloodworth’s comments and said the President had caught significant problems with the proposed changes.
9. Roxann Bustos mentioned a redundancy in Faculty Manual Section 126.96.36.199. The committee agreed it would be best to leave it as is.
10. Peggy Ruth said VP Bompart agrees with the proposal to eliminate the Education Curriculum Committee. She will prepare an appropriate proposal to be presented to the faculty.
The meeting adjourned at 4:25 P.M.