October 29, 2001
Bustos (secretary), Barbara Coleman, Bill Dodd, Beth Fanning, Jim Garvey, Peggy
Ruth Geren, Paul Harris (chair), Andy Hauger, Donna Hobbs, Wayne Mixon, Jana
Sandarg, Bruce Saul
Minutes of the October 22 meeting were approved.
Dodd reported that Keith Luoma’s study of the exam schedule showed
that it would be virtually impossible to compress it into fewer days. He distributed copies of the UGA
Fall 2002 Academic Calendar.
Since we do not want to go to a December 21 graduation date, there
is no way we could make the Wednesday before Thanksgiving a holiday.
Harris distributed a memo regarding President Bloodworth’s request
for a Mandatory Student Fee Committee. FPC members suggested that the existing Student
Activities Committee could deal with the charge of the proposed
committee. Paul will pass
this on to the President.
reported that Angela Morgan said the Fine Arts Intellectual Property item
looks great. Andy Hauger
questioned the need of a separate policy on this. Paul will invite Angela (and
possibly a visual artist) and Jonathan to come to our next meeting to discuss
and Tenure: Paul distributed
e-mail with questions from a faculty member who asked if we had thought of
providing a FAQ regarding P & T.
Andy will draft answers to the specific questions and share with
the committee. Paul will collect
faculty questions and comments for review and a possible FAQ. Jurgen Brauer was unable to attend
the FPC meeting to discuss his P & T concerns. The FPC believes most of them
could be dealt with on the college level. Paul will draft a response and send it to the committee
Harris distributed a memo regarding President Bloodworth’s thoughts
about using the FPC as a “kitchen cabinet” to have frank
informal discussions with him in an effort to improve the overall academic
environment for students and faculty. He will email the information to the
The meeting adjourned at 4:40 P.M.