Faculty Policies Committee
September 10, 2001
Present: Roxann Bustos (secretary), Barbara Coleman, Bill Dodd, Beth Fanning, Jim Garvey, Peggy Ruth Geren, Paul Harris (chair), Andy Hauger, Donna Hobbs, Bruce Saul, Wayne Mixon, Jana Sandarg
1. The minutes of the August 27 meeting were approved.
2. Wayne Mixon verified RSVPs for the New Faculty Luncheon on Sept. 14.
3. Bruce Saul will invite Lee Ann Caldwell to attend the Sept. 17 FPC meeting to discuss the recommendations regarding part-time faculty.
4. Paul Harris contacted the three deans for suggested candidates for Faculty Secretary. He has not received any responses.
5. Paul reported on his Wednesday meeting with President Bloodworth and Vice President Bompart. They were in agreement on all of the non-pay-related part-time faculty recommendations. Paul will contact V.P. Barnebei regarding regular ID cards and parking stickers, Chip Matson regarding e-mail accounts, and Kathy Schofe regarding the Personnel Directory.
6. Paul distributed copies of “A Special Agreement of Intent for All Creative Artists in the Fine Arts Department and The Intellectual Properties Committee” and comments on it by Robyn Crittenden, Assistant Vice Chancellor for Legal Affairs for the University System. Paul will talk with Jonathan Leightner (for the Intellectual Properties Committee), Angela Morgan (for the Fine Arts Department) and Vice President Bompart about this.
7. Paul distributed copies of e-mail from Dean House regarding the New Leave Reporting Procedure and a draft Sick Leave Reporting Policy Recommendation from a USG task force. The FPC agreed that the new procedures do not make sense for faculty. Bill Dodd mentioned that Dr. Bompart had sent out an e-mail to department chairs, which brought out most of our objections.
8. Peggy Ruth Gerren will have a report on the Teacher Education Council/College of Education Curriculum Committee situation at the next meeting
9. Paul took suggestions of possible members for the Parking Advisory Committee.
10. Andy Hauger reported that he has the FPC web page set up and is waiting for FTP software to be loaded on his computer so he can upload the page to the campus website.
11. Jana Sandarg said that Joe Cotter has volunteered to chair the 2003 Cullum Committee on the topic of the US-Latin American Borderlands. Paul will send an e-mail to the faculty and staff lists asking for interested volunteers. Paul will also ask Dr. Bompart what happened to the recommendations of the most recent Cullum Review Committee.
12. Paul shared e-mails from two faculty members regarding the 20-page limit for support documentation in Promotion and Tenure packets. Committee members suggested that possible ways to make additional pages unnecessary would be having the chair sign off on statements of accomplishments and/or having the applicant include the statement “Additional documentation is available on request.” The Promotion and Tenure sub-committee (Andy Hauger, Peggy Ruth Gerren, and Jim Garvey) will look at this issue. Jim Garvey will check the April 11, 2001, Faculty Meeting minutes for additional information.
13. Dean Freeman will come to talk with the FPC on Sept. 24.
14. Paul distributed copies of the Part Time Faculty Proposal
15. The meeting adjourned at approximately 4:15 P.M.
The next meeting will be Monday, September 17 at 3:00 P.M.