Minutes, Faculty Policies Committee,
Present: Michelle Benedict, Barbara Coleman, Bill Dodd, Gordon Eisenman, Cliff Gardiner, Jim Garvey, Andy Hauger (chair), Jeff Heck (secretary), Donna Hobbs, Bill Reese, Jana Sandarg, Sabina Widner
Agenda items: Old Business
1. Employee Benefits Tracking – Andy Hauger met last spring with President Bloodworth about changes in documentation of retirement benefit options for new faculty. Changes were requested by the president, but more follow-up is needed. Hauger will request a copy of the new faculty packet from Don O'Neal to review prior to his next meeting with President Bloodworth.
2. Spring Break Schedule- March 6 and 7, 2003 are added as Spring Break days this year. (The break during Master’s Week remains.) The following year’s dates are not yet selected.
3. Parking Advisory Membership Tracking – Bill Dodd will check with Kathy Hamrick to ensure three names were received for the group.
4. Semester Scheduling Ideas – Discussion concluded. No action needed.
5. Cullum Committee Votes - Jana Sandarg will submit results of the ad hoc Cullum Committee Redesign group to the FPC in about two weeks for approval. The topic for Cullum 2004 will be voted on during this time, as well. Michelle Benedict requested the PAT have standing unbooked dates for some Lyceum and Cullum events; otherwise the PAT is reserved two years in advance, and other campus venues are insufficient for speakers who attract large audiences.
6. Promotion and Tenure Reevaluation– Andy Hauger will copy Jim Benedict's letter to Bill Reese; he and Michelle Benedict will implement some items immediately. Other items of concern will wait for one more year before consideration, allowing two years of data to review.
7. Mentoring Subcommittee - Jana Sandarg and President Bloodworth selected a menu. Sabina Widner sent luncheon announcements which should reach everyone this week. , Friday, September 13 is the luncheon for mentors and new faculty, to be held at the Pinnacle Club. Sabina will check on the status of formal invitations for FPC members.
1. Library Privileges - A part-time faculty member requests library privileges be expanded to allow full-semester checkout and library use between teaching semesters. Cliff Gardiner suggested department heads provide names of long-term part-timers to be given extended privileges. Jeff Heck will report on options at the next FPC meeting.
2. Lyceum Committee Concerns - Reduction of faculty members – sent to Committee on Committees. Programming emphasis on music – sent to a new FPC subcommittee (Barbara Coleman, Bill Dodd [chair], Cliff Gardiner).
3. Sexual Harassment Procedures Proposal - The Sexual Harassment Committee will meet in two weeks with the FPC. Bill Dodd and Michelle Benedict will look for existing examples of policies available through the Board of Regents and other universities.
4. Goals - Hubert Van Tuyll asked the FPC via email if the recent goals distributed by VPAA Sam Sullivan tie to the goals for general education presented some time ago. Andy Hauger will bring this up with Sullivan at their next meeting.
Next Meeting: Monday, August 26th, , 1012