Minutes, Faculty Policies Committee,
Present: Michelle Benedict, Barbara Coleman, Bill Dodd, Gordon Eisenman, Cliff Gardiner, Jim Garvey, Andy Hauger (chair), Jeff Heck (secretary), Donna Hobbs, Bill Reese, Jana Sandarg, Sabina Widner
Agenda items: Old Business
1. Employee Benefits Tracking – Andy Hauger met with VPAA Sam Sullivan, President Bloodworth and Personnel concerning last year’s work of the Employee Benefits Committee. More followup is needed to ensure new faculty have all the information they need now for choosing a retirement plan. Hauger will suggest specifics to go out now, even if in rough form, and the FPC will continue to track these changes.
2. Parking Advisory Membership Tracking – Bill Dodd confirmed that three names had not yet been provided. Suggestions for new members should be emailed to him. Benedict questioned why there was no longer a shuttle bus between our two campuses, as foreign students have difficulty with the commute otherwise. Hauger will bring up this question with President Bloodworth at their meeting Wednesday. Benedict volunteered to serve as one of the three faculty members to serve on the Parking Advisory Committee.
3. Promotion and Tenure Reevaluation–Reese met with Jim Benedict to review changes requested in Benedict’s letter of this past year. Simple changes needed for clarity in the faculty manual will be addressed with VPAA Sam Sullivan when Reese, who is chair of the promotion and tenure committee this year, meets with Sullivan in that capacity. Any policy issues that remain will be brought back to the FPC for further action.
4. Athletics Committee Concern – Bill Dodd presented two alternatives to resolve the concerns of the SGA concerning membership composition of the Athletic Committee. The options will be sent to the Athletic Committee for comment before the FPC takes further action.
5. Lyceum Committee Focus Concern – The SGA also expressed concern about the focus of Lyceum activities being primarily music and suggested a membership change. The FPC chose not to force assignments of a set number of faculty from each college for membership, since work on the committee traditionally has been done by those interested. The “responsibilities” section of the manual will be changed to promote cooperation between Cullum and Lyceum in hosting one joint event each year. Dodd will write up the changes and email them to the committee to allow for comment at the next meeting.
6. Library Privileges – Jeff Heck reported on library policy changes requested by part-time faculty. The library developed policy changes in line with the requests and will announce them to all faculty.