Minutes, Faculty Policies Committee,
Present: Michelle Benedict, Barbara Coleman, Gordon Eisenman, Cliff Gardiner, Jim Garvey, Andy Hauger (chair), Jeff Heck (secretary), Donna Hobbs, Bill Reese, Jana Sandarg, Sabina Widner
Minutes of September 30, 2002 were approved with corrections.
Agenda items: Old Business
1. Lyceum Committee – The FPC will restate and re-propose to the Lyceum Committee a change in wording to the Lyceum Committee charge in the Faculty Manual. There is interest in the change to ensure that future committees will be aware of the tradition of cooperation between Lyceum and Cullum in hosting one event per year.
2. Cullum 2004 – Andy Hauger will meet with President Bloodworth this week to discuss the proposed changes. Following FPC determination of the approval process, Jana Sandarg will begin work on a compact wording of the changes for the Faculty Manual.
3. Employee Benefits –The FPC distributed a survey for new faculty this week. The survey, which will be given to new faculty by their mentors, will collect information on the process of introducing new faculty to their retirement options. Andy Hauger provided a cover letter for the distribution.
4. Retention/Graduation Study – The committee developed possible causes of some problem areas in ASU’s retention and graduation rates. Andy Hauger, Cliff Gardiner, and Bill Reese will meet with Bill Dodd to review options for data mining from Banner.
5. Faculty Manual Correction - Andy Hauger will speak with Katherine Sweeney concerning a proposal to delete a paragraph on page 136 of the Faculty Manual. The paragraph refers to a position no longer in existence and an archival process not currently in use.
6. Faculty Parking – Some faculty are concerned about the lack of faculty parking near Allgood Hall. The problem will be brought before the Parking Committee when it meets. Andy Hauger and Michelle Benedict will discuss the issue with Kathy Hamrick to see what plans there are for future parking.
Meeting adjourned: 4:45 p.m.