Faculty Policies Committee Minutes, November 10, 2003
Present: Michelle Benedict, Tom Crute, Gordon Eisenman, Cliff Gardiner, Jeff Heck (secretary), Marc Miller, Bill Reese (chair), Katherine Sweeney, Donna Wear, Janice Whiting, Sabina Widner
1. Fall Break –
Discussion postponed until Wendy Turner, who has done additional research, can return to an FPC meeting.
2. Peaceful Assembly / Freedom of Expression –
The draft of a cover letter to Vice President of Business and Student Services Fred Barnabei, Dean of Students Joyce Jones, and Public Safety Director Jasper Cooke was unanimously approved as written. Bill Reese will send the letter and proposed Faculty Manual policy change, with a cc: to Dean of Student Affairs John Groves.
3. Faculty Luncheon –
Bill Reese renewed discussion about a faculty luncheon following his conversation with Food Services. The new General Manager, Elizabeth Coleman, is interested in pursuing the idea. The FPC discussed timing of the event, but chose to turn the issue over to the Faculty Club, which has expressed an interest in faculty luncheons. The FPC urges implementation of this idea by the Faculty Club and will provide support.
4. Faculty Governance – Departmental Visits
Sweeney reported that Political Science has not yet had a departmental meeting.
When it does, she will attend and seek to involve faculty in faculty
governance, and she will carry back any issues or concerns they may wish to
express to the FPC. Marc Miller reported that the Department of Kinesiology and
Health Science has not yet set a time for him to attend. Janice Whiting
reported that the art faculty sought information on the committee formation
process on campus. Whiting will ask the faculty concerned with this issue to
write up a description of the committee they wish to form. Bill Reese reported
that the Clinical and Professional Studies Department of the
5. New Faculty Mentoring –
Welcome CD - Sabina Widner has a work order number assigned by Information Technology Services for setting up burning the CDs to give to new faculty. She may also inquire at Public Relations to determine options there. Michelle Benedict said that Dr. Richard House and the band are prepared to record the alma mater for inclusion on the CD. The current timetable is for completion during Spring semester.
Organizational Chart –
An unofficial organizational chart will be designed to allow a user to move a pointer over a department and have additional information pop up, rather than trying to include all the information to be included on one page.
6. Faculty Sabbaticals –
Discussion postponed to next meeting.
7. Cullum Update –
A Cullum 2900 class faces approval at the next faculty meeting. Jeff Heck will pursue Board of Regents (BOR) approval questions relating to the class as a core option.
8. Student Evaluations of Faculty –
Cliff Gardiner reported that the Faculty Policies subcommittee on course evaluations has thus far met twice to review the existing process and make recommendations for changes. So far, the committee has considered modifications to questions in the evaluation instrument, to document design, and to the descriptive statistics included in the evaluation report. Michelle Benedict requested that the data reported include the mode (most frequent responses) as a vital piece of information for the faculty member reviewed. Gardiner and Benedict will discuss this with the committee. Gardiner noted that the committee intends to explore possibilities for analyzing statistical correlations of data with Information Technology Services, with a view to improve the evaluation report provided to faculty and administrators.
9. Innovative Institutional Budgeting –
Bill Reese picked up copies of the current and proposed mission statement for ASU from the president’s office. The FPC discussed the timing and process of inviting ASU administrators to meet with the committee. A central question is, “What can faculty do to help raise money for the school?”
1. Nighttime Faculty Parking –
Discussion postponed to next meeting.
2. Teaching Abroad –
Discussion postponed until Christos Bourdouvalis, Department of Political Science, receives a response from the Board of Regents.
3. Fall Student Convocation –
Discussion will be joined with proposed Fall Break options, next meeting.
4. Publishing Industry – Marketing and Costs of Books
Michelle Benedict awaits volunteers to assist with drafting a statement. Bill Reese will assist with ethical standards.
Meeting adjourned at
Next Meeting: November 17, 2003, 4 p.m., Allgood Hall, Dean’s Office Conference room, N210 suite
of the semester will be
of Spring Semester will be