Faculty Policies Committee Minutes,
Present: Michelle Benedict, Tom Crute, Gordon Eisenman, Cliff Gardiner, Marc Miller, Jeff Heck (secretary), Bill Reese (chair), Katherine Sweeney, Wendy Turner, Donna Wear, Janice Whiting, Sabina Widner
1. New Faculty
A. Breakfast Marc Miller reported that all R.S.V.P.s had been received for the new faculty and mentor luncheon. All but about 2 new faculty will attend.
B. Organizational Chart Bill Reese and Jeff Heck will review the organizational chart for possible provision to new faculty.
C. Photos New faculty may wish to visit Public Relations to have their photo taken if they did not have their picture taken during the new faculty luncheon.
2. Faculty Governance Bill Reese distributed a list of units matched with FPC members who have already or who will visit the units to encourage participation in faculty policies. Wendy Turner presented a list of five concerns from the Nursing, History, and Womens Studies units. Items four and five, distribution of information about important issues on campus and expanded detail on the FPC agenda sent to faculty prior to meetings, are already being worked on. The committee discussed item two, provision of a place for faculty to have lunch with other faculty only. Marc Miller will check on a possible buffet provider and the issue will be further considered at future meetings, along with the other items on the list.
Miller also discussed items presented from his meeting with
Bill Reese will write a letter to non-faculty groups concerning a meeting to encourage FPC participation.
Cliff Gardiner suggested FPC members might meet with others in their units during lunch to answer questions about the FPC agenda.
Bill Reese asked all FPC members to email him and the FPC Secretary with other results from unit meetings.
3. Book Vendors Michelle Benedict and Cliff Gardiner will contact the new bookstore manager, Karl Munschy, to discuss the current policy.
4. Geopolitics of Free Speech Bill Reese distributed a copy of the Peaceful Assembly Guidelines for future consideration by the committee.
1. Proposal to Limit Early Registration for Students who Withdraw Consistently - This proposal, intended to ensure there is room in classes for students who will carry through with taking the class, was forwarded to Academic Policies.
2. ASU Forms for Student Evaluation of Faculty The FPC discussed problems with implementation and design of the existing forms. A suggestion to change the forms was forwarded to Academic Policies. FPC members were reminded that the results of these surveys need to be carefully checked by the faculty member evaluated.
3. Cellphone use in the Classroom Following discussion, the committee concluded that no additional policies were needed, as faculty already have the necessary authority and options for controlling their classrooms.
4. Night Time Faculty Parking After discussion, the chair tabled the issue to a future meeting.
5. Other New Business All other agenda items were deferred.
Allgood Hall, Deans Office Conference room, within the N210 suite