Faculty Policies Committee Minutes
Members present: Marc Miller, Bruce Saul, Donna Wear, Peggy Ruth Geren, Tom Crute, Pam Hayward, Jana Sandarg, Wendy Turner, Wayne Mixon, Janice Williams Whiting and Katherine Sweeney
Marc Miller called the meeting to order at 3:30 pm. The minutes from November 1 were accepted as posted to the FPC intranet and approved unanimously.
Lyceum Committee Subcommittee-Tom Crute, Janice Williams Whiting, Eddie Howard, Jim Benedict and Kristin Casaletto met four times. Their recommendations include revamping the structure of the Lyceum Committee and providing more guidelines to the charge of the committee. The complete recommendations are posted to the FPC intranet. A motion to accept the recommendations of the subcommittee was made, seconded and approved unanimously.
Outstanding Faculty Member award-Peggy Ruth Geren distributed the following suggested revision to the selection process:
1. The Faculty Recognition committee will issue a call
for nominations. A list of past recipients will be in-
cluded in the call for nominations.
2. All nominations will be made in secret; i.e., the nominee
shall not know she or he is being nominated.
3. The FRC will be responsible for collecting all relevant
information on which to make a decision from the respective
deans, department chairs, colleagues, students and other
FPC will work to change the Faculty Manual. There was discussion about the vagueness of the current information contained in the manual. Peggy Ruth, Wendy Turner and Janice will draft a revision.
Faculty attendance at commencement-Forcing attendance at commencement by the faculty does not appear to be desirable or feasible. Bruce Saul will draft a statement of support from FPC for attendance at commencement for presentation at an upcoming faculty meeting.
Cheating and ethical behavior-Peggy Ruth shared the results of an informal poll conducted of students by two of her students. None of those polled had experienced a problem with inconsistency on the part of faculty when cheating had occurred but none of them was aware of our current policy either. Communication is clearly lacking. Marc will take the current policy and graph it so the group can see it clearly laid out for possible clarification. Marc will also ask Joyce Jones to attend the November 15 meeting.
Department Chair evaluations- Wayne Mixon distributed copies of his unit plan. There was discussion of this document as well as discussion about the evaluation process in general. It was suggested that FPC send a note to the deans suggesting that chair evaluations be shared will all departmental members. Marc will draft such a note for review by the group at the next meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at .