Faculty Policies Committee Minutes
August 30, 2004
Members present: Marc Miller, Janice Williams Whiting, Bruce Saul, Donna Wear, Peggy Ruth Geren, Barry Thompson, Tom Crute, Pam Hayward, Jana Sandarg, Wendy Turner, and Katherine Sweeney
Marc Miller called the meeting to order at 3:30 pm. The minutes from August 23 were accepted as posted to the intranet and approved unanimously.
Course evaluations- Donna has polled the academic department chairs asking the following questions:
What statistical measure do you prefer?
How could the evaluation instrument be improved?
She will report responses at the next meeting.
Teaching abroad and compensation-Janice, Jana, Holly Carter and Chris Bourdouvalis have a meeting with Dr. Sullivan later this week about the Study Abroad Program in general. He asked to meet with the directors of the various programs. After that meeting they will have a better idea in which direction to move.
Cheating and ethical behavior among students- There was general discussion about policies at other institutions. Peggy Ruth will solicit other members from among the faculty and will also ask Joyce Jones for input. Marc reminded the committee that an email from Joyce has been posted to the intranet. Marc asked if there was a motion to make this issue an ongoing agenda item. It was so moved and approved unanimously.
Faculty checkout of library books- There was considerable discussion about the current policy concerning faculty checkout of books from the Reese Library. Marc will talk with Camilla Reid and ask that she consider lifting the 50 book limit and changing the bound journal checkout limit from 2 to 24 hours. He will also ask about the possibility of online renewal at some point in the future, rather than having to physically take all materials to the library once a year.
Grade inflation-The committee reviewed the grade distribution trend posted to the intranet by Katherine. There does not seem to be a problem with grade inflation at ASU. The issue was dismissed as a possible agenda item by unanimous vote.
New faculty luncheon-Marc reminded the group that it will be held on September 17 at noon at the Pinnacle Club. Committee members were asked to RSVP to him this week indicating salmon or a vegetable main course.
Faculty input in design projects on campus-Marc will post a document that Janice has drafted to the intranet for the committee's review.
New business-Jim Benedict will attend the FPC meeting on September 13 to discuss the Cullum series. Hubert Van Tuyll has asked that FPC explore the possibility of term limits for department chairs. His letter to Marc is posted to the intranet. Wendy and Barry will do some background work as to policies at other institutions. There was a brief discussion concerning the possibility of requiring certain credentials for faculty to attain “graduate faculty status”. Committee members were asked to seek clarification as to the past and current status of the Graduate Council at ASU. There was discussion about the current posting policy on campus. Marc will speak with Dr. Jones about the policy.
The meeting was adjourned at 4:35 pm .