Faculty Policies Committee Minutes,
Present: Tom Crute, Michelle Benedict, Gordon Eisenman, Cliff Gardiner, Jeff Heck (secretary), Marc Miller, Bill Reese (chair), Katherine Sweeney, Wendy Turner, Janice Whiting, Sabina Widner
1. Fall Break –
President Bloodworth reviewed the information the FPC passed to him, and he suggested that Katherine Sweeney develop an alternate option that would retain a study day, etc. Both approaches were given to Dr. Sam Sullivan, Vice President for Academic Affairs, for consideration. Sweeney will distribute the second option to the FPC.
2. Peaceful Assembly / Free Speech –
Bill Reese will request clarification of Dean of Students Joyce Jones and Public Safety Director Jasper Cooke on three items in the peaceful assembly guidelines currently under consideration. Bill will meet with Michelle Benedict for review of the request prior to sending it.
3. Timing of Grade Availability –
The committee discussed the pros and cons of making grades available to students as soon as they are posted in ELROY, the database containing students’ class schedules, grades, etc. Marc Miller will develop a proposal for a survey for determining faculty preferences, and the committee will do further research. Katherine Sweeney reported that it is possible to set a specific date and time at which grades will become visible to students, regardless of their time of entry.
4. Faculty Promotion and Tenure –
The FPC reviewed a new set of recommendations dealing with the physical format of promotion and tenure (P&T) submissions. There was concern that limiting the physical media to paper would keep the P&T Committee from understanding the value or extent of work done in digital or visual media. Counterpoint suggested that it is possible for the P&T Committee members to ask for more information, and that the strict adherence to paper format might reduce problems with the length of time and effort required to review an applicant.
The issue of guidelines for letters written from the department to the P&T Committee was also raised, as some letters provide too little information that is helpful to the review process. Guidelines would help departments provide enough information.
Jim Benedict, current P&T Committee chair will be invited to discuss the issue.
5. E-Forms –
Tom Crute will update the FPC on progress toward this goal, at the next meeting.
6. Institutional Development –
Scheduling of a meeting on this topic was delayed over the holidays to see if Vice President for University Advancement John Flowers would be able to attend. Bill Reese will contact Helen Hendee, Director of Major Gifts and Alumni Relations, to arrange a representative for this meeting, and he will invite Vice President for Business and Student Services Fred Barnabei.
7. University Council Meeting –
Marc Miller volunteered to represent the committee at the next University Council Meeting, Thursday, January 15.
Meeting adjourned at
NO MEETING NEXT WEEK, JAN 19; The next meeting will be January 26, 3 p.m., Allgood Hall, Dean’s Office Conference room, N210 suite