Faculty Policies Committee Minutes
Members present: Marc Miller, Donna Wear, Bruce Saul, Peggy Ruth Geren, Barry Thompson, Tom Crute, Pam Hayward, Jana Sandarg, Wendy Turner, Wayne Mixon, Janice Williams Whiting and Katherine Sweeney.
Marc Miller called the meeting to order at 3:00 pm. The minutes from November 22 were accepted as posted to the FPC intranet.
Post Tenure Review Committees: There was discussion concerning the composition of the Post Tenure Review Committees. The membership is the same as last year on each committee. When the Committee on Committees met last May, they did not have information concerning faculty who would be in the rotation for review during this academic year. It was agreed that Sam Richardson would replace Cliff Gardiner on his committee in light of Cliff’s appointment as Assistant Dean of Arts and Sciences. All other members would remain the same for this year but next year’s Committee on Committees will be mindful of the issue as they make their assignments.
Marc distributed several documents for the committee’s review including:
Summary of progress to date: Marc provided that document to the President and Dr. Sullivan for their information.
Calendar for the remaining months of the academic year: FPC has one item on the agenda for the January 26 faculty meeting (composition of committee). Jana Sandarg agreed to coordinate the call for the next round of Cullum proposals. Bruce Saul and Wendy Turner agreed to coordinate the primary and general elections for the next academic year. These elections are tentatively planned for March 22 and 29 respectively. The last meeting of FPC for this year is scheduled for April 25. At this meeting newly elected members will be introduced and next year’s chair will be selected.
the department head evaluation Statement of Principles: Group discussed and
agreed to one minor change. Last sentence of document will be changed to read
“The Dean of the
Faculty Manual revisions: Dr. Sullivan has charged FPC with reviewing the current manual. Marc asked the group to review the “Miscellaneous changes to the Faculty Manual” section and the “General Global Changes” section. FPC will vote on these at the next meeting. There was then a general discussion concerning the numbering scheme and procedures for documenting updates to the manual in the document itself. In addition, procedures and policies need to be separated. Marc has put a link on the FPC intranet (faculty manual online) and the group was asked to take the next week to get a general feel for navigating the online document. At the next meeting the manual will be divided among the group for review and suggestions for modification.
Ongoing agenda items:
Faculty Evaluation: Donna Wear met with Cathy Barner in ITS and Cathy is currently searching for a software package that will be consistent with the statistical measures FPC has requested.
Student Evaluation document: Janice Williams has converted
the document to a .pdf file and will deliver it to
the Dr. Dodd for printing at the
Composition of Promotion and Tenure committee: Barry Thompson noted that this discussion had been tabled earlier. Marc will determine status.
Posting Policy: Pam Hayward asked if there was outstanding work to be done on the posting policy. Marc indicated that he believed the issue had reached closure.
Outstanding Faculty Member: Peggy Ruth Geren and Janice asked that FPC plan to vote on the proposed changes to the process for selection of the Outstanding Faculty Member, as well as the proposed new award for the Outstanding New Faculty Member, no later than March 14 to ensure inclusion on the agenda for the last faculty meeting of the year in April.
New agenda items:
Pam received an email from a faculty member noting that it appears as if the amount contributed by the BOR to the ORP system has been reduced. Marc will discuss this with Dr. Barnabei.
Tom Crute received a copy of a publication given to new faculty at another institution. It appears to be a very good compilation of things new faculty need to know. Marc will discuss with the President the possibility of providing it to new faculty at ASU.
The meeting was adjourned at .