Faculty Policies Committee Minutes
17 April 2006
Members present: Peggy Ruth Geren, Pam Hayward, Donna Hobbs, Pam Jackson, Rick Pukis, Bob Reeves, Jana Sandarg, Bruce Saul, Mike Searles, Cathy Tugmon, Barry Thompson
1. Peggy Ruth called the meeting to order at 3:00 pm.
2. The FPC unanimously approved minutes from 10 April 06.
3. Peggy Ruth and Rick discussed progress on obtaining software from ITS to assist the FPC in their selection of faculty to serve on campus committees. They were given a preliminary program that will be ready to use on 24April. Faculty will be able to sign up for committees on line from 24-28April. The FPC Sub-Committee on Committees will meet shortly after that deadline.
4. Helen Hendee met with the FPC to discuss the status of the Cullum Foundation. She explained how the process (and funding) has changed over the past two decades. Now, ASU has to apply to a supervisory board in Atlanta and compete with other applicants for limited funding. We do not find out about the success of our application until after the next Cullum cycle has started. It is possible that ASU could plan the lecture series, hire the speakers and find there are no “Cullum” funds to support it. The FPC was asked to consider options that will preserve the Cullum Lecture Series in some form. The FPC discussed possible solutions and Peggy Ruth recommended that a new subcommittee be formed for 2006-2007. It was also suggested that continuity could be better preserved if Cullum had an administrative “home” on campus.
5. The FPC began discussions about refining the definition of “full-time” faculty in the Faculty Manual. In the past, temporary full-time faculty have been able to vote in campus elections. The committee was unable to agree on a recommendation and suggested this be the topic of a faculty forum next year.
6. The meeting was adjourned at 4:15pm.