Faculty Policies Committee Minutes
24 April 2006
Members present: 05-06 = Peggy Ruth Geren, Pam Hayward, Donna Hobbs, Pam Jackson, Rick Pukis, Bob Reeves, Jana Sandarg, Bruce Saul, Mike Searles, Cathy Tugmon, Barry Thompson
Newly elected members: Jim Benedict, Tom Colbert, Charles Jackson, Stephanie Myers, Carol Rychly, Debbie van Tuyll
1. Peggy Ruth called the meeting to order at 3:00 pm.
2. The FPC unanimously approved minutes from 17 April 06.
3. Peggy Ruth was presented a gift from the 05-06 FPC and a “THANK YOU” for a job well done.
4. Peggy Ruth circulated a 2008 Cullum proposal from Chris Murphy on the topic of Native Americans: The past as Present. The committee voted to accept his proposal.
5. Retiring and new committee members were introduced and the 06-07 FPC was installed.
Faculty Policies Meeting (Part II)
April 24, 2006
Attending: Peggy Ruth Geren, Bruce Saul, Mike Searles, Tom Colbert, Stephanie Myers, Rick Pukis, Pam Jackson, Carol Rychly, Jim Benedict, Debbie van Tuyll, Donna Hobbs, Bob Reeves, Cathy Tugmon, and Charles Jackson.
1. Peggy and Bruce sheparded the election of the 2006-2007 FPC chair and secretary. Cathy Tugmon was elected chair by aclaimation, and Debbie van Tuyll was elected secretary, following a discussion of which software would be used for posting the minutes to the web.
2. Peggy reminded committee members of several issues that would carry over from the current academic year to the next: the Information Technology project to aid the process of making faculty committee assignments; the faculty grievance policy project; and the project to define who is a fulltime faculty member. Rich Pukis will head the Information Technology project; Pam Jackson will head the faculty grievance project; and Donna Hobbs will head the project to define who is a fulltime faculty member. An additional project for next year is the Mentor-Mentee Luncheon that is held early in the fall semester. Cathy Tugmon and Donna Hobbs helped Peggy answer questions about the functions of these various groups.
3. The following members of the Class of 08 agreed to assist with these projects: Tom Colbert and Jim Benedict agreed to help with the ITS project, though later Tom withdrew in order to take another assignment. Debbie van Tuyll will help with the faculty grievance project. The FPC members also decided to go ahead and constitute some of the subcommittees for next year. The following members will serve on the Committee on Committees: Rick Pukis (chair), Bob Reeves, Jim Benedict, Mike Searles, and Charles Jackson. The following people will serve on the committee to oversee faculty elections: Donna Hobbs, Carol Rychly, and Stephanie Myers. The following people will serve on the committee to plan the Mentor luncheon: Stephanie Myers, Charles Jackson, and Cathy Tugmon.
4. In other business Jim Benedict brought up the need to consider the future of the Cullum Lecture series since funding for the project has declined by about half over the past 10 years or so. The group agreed to postpone that decision until Helen Hendee has had an opportunity to investigate possible funding sources.
5. The group decided to set the meeting time for next year at 2:30 p.m. on Mondays. The Committee on Committees will meet this coming Monday, May 1 at 2:30 p.m. to begin its work making committee assignments for next year. They will meet in the Languages, Literature and Communications Conference Room. Cathy Tugmon will post an e-mail to faculty, reminding them to submit their choices. Cathy reminded Committee on Committees members to bring the rules on constituting committees with them to the next meeting.
Debbie van Tuyll