Faculty Policies Minutes – November 6, 2006
Attending: Carol Rychly, Charles Jackson, Rick Pukis, Robert Reeves, Mike Searles, Jim Benedict, Tom Colbert, Donna Hobbs, Pam Jackson, Sam Myers, Cathy Tugmon (chair), and Debbie van Tuyll (secretary).
1. Minutes of the Oct. 30 meeting were approved with one change: references to “Jackson” in the minutes should have “P.” inserted before them to clarify which Jackson is being referred to.
2. The committee discussed the Faculty Grievance Against a Student . P. Jackson will circulate corrections and include an appeals process. Appeals will go through the following offices: Dean of Students; Vice President for Student Services; President.
3. The committee discussed issues brought to it by Jurgen Brauer. The first issue deal with making minutes of all committees available. The committee noted that all committee chairs are supposed to turn in minutes and annual reports to the library for posting on the Internet. The issue is that not all chairs do this. Tugmon will discuss how to enforce the requirement with VPAA Sullivan. Brauer’s second issue was how to enforce committee service among staff and student members. Tugmon will investigate with the Staff Advisory Council on whether this is a problem with staff generally or only for specific committees. The committee discussed possible ways of getting students to participate on committees to which they’ve been appointed and noted that money does not seem to be a motivator since the Dean of Students Office pays students when they attend committee meetings. They discussed the possibility of offering one credit courses in Participatory Democracy or Journalism as motivators.
4. Tugmon and Pukis announced that Justin Clifton of IT Services will demonstrate the new faculty voting system at the next meeting.
5. Jim Benedict will provide snacks next week. He’s threatening to burn the popcorn.