Faculty Policies Minutes – November 20, 2006
Attending: Carol Rychly, Charles Jackson, Rick Pukis, Mike Searles, Jim Benedict, Tom Colbert, Donna Hobbs, Pam Jackson, Sam Myers, Robert Reeves, Cathy Tugmon (chair), and Debbie van Tuyll (secretary).
1. Minutes of the November 13th meeting were approved with no corrections.
2. P. Jackson presented the final version of the Faculty Grievance Against a Student policy. The committee member made minor changes and agreed the policy should go forward to the next level.
3. Members returned to their discussion from last week regarding the president’s suggestion that a committee be appointed to study the student handbook’s section on student behavior and discipline. FPC members agreed this would be a good idea and asked Tugmon to convey to the president their desire for the proposed committee to be made up of students and teaching faculty only since they are the two groups who would be affected by any changes. They also asked for one of the faculty members to be an attorney, and they specifically suggested Chris Cain from Buisness or Peter Flannagan from Political Science.
The committee discussed the need for a parallel process to ensure the student handbook policies on discipline match up with the related sections of the faculty policies manual. Members noted that any changes to the faculty policies manual would have to go to the faculty for approval and that changes to the student handbook should come to the faculty for information.
4. Members also discussed how to approach gathering information regarding faculty workload for the president. Members decided on informal meetings with departments and began working on a list of potential questions to ask.
5. Members briefly discussed an e-mail from Duncan Roberts of the English and foreign languages department regarding program faculty. They will return to that issue next week.
6. Bob Reeves agreed to bring dessert next week.
7. The meeting adjourned at 3:50 p.m.