Faculty Policies Minutes – November 27, 2006
Attending: Carol Rychly, Charles Jackson, Rick Pukis, Mike Searles, Jim Benedict, Tom Colbert, Donna Hobbs, Pam Jackson, Sam Myers, Robert Reeves, Cathy Tugmon (chair), and Debbie van Tuyll (secretary).
1. Minutes of the November 20 meeting were approved with no corrections.
2. Committee members continued their discussion of how to obtain information regarding faculty workload. They edited the several draft questions they want to ask the departments and colleges and pared them down to four:
1. How has your workload changed in the last few years?
2. What kinds of things are you required to do, if any, that you think take away from, or prevent, you from meeting obligations in teaching, research and service?
3. What suggestions do you have, if any, that might increase the efficiency and productivity of the faculty?
4. What resources do you need, if any, to accomplish your assigned tasks in teaching, research, and service?
5. Are the Faculty Role Model expectations for faculty performance a good fit with expectations of your particular college or department?
FPC members agreed to discuss how to get answers to these questions at the next meeting.
3. Members returned to their discussion from last week regarding the president’s suggestion that a committee be appointed to study the student handbook’s section on student behavior and discipline. The president has responded to last week’s suggestions, and he wants to establish a committee to examine pages 32 to 38 of the Student Handbook. He wants the committee to consist of Dean Jones, two or three faculty appointed by FPC, and two or three students appointed by SGA. The committee asked Tugmon to respond to the president to express their concern at the scope of this task, which is far more involved than what they wanted to do, which was ensure that the Student Handbook is reconciled with the Faculty Manual regarding the procedure for faculty bringing charges against students for threatening or abusive behavior
4. The committee did not have time to address the issues brought up in an e-mail from Duncan Roberts of the English and foreign languages department regarding program faculty. They will return to that issue next week.
5. Tugmon will bring snacks next week.
6. The meeting adjourned at 3:50 p.m.
Debbie van Tuyll