Faculty Policies Committee Minutes – Oct. 2, 2006
Attending: Carol Rychly, Charles Jackson, Rick Pukis, Robert Reeves, Mike Searles, Jim Benedict, Tom Colbert, Sam Myers, Donna Hobbs, Cathy Tugmon (chair), and Debbie van Tuyll (secretary)
1. Tugmon called the meeting to order and asked for corrections to the minutes. There being no corrections, the minutes were approved as submitted.
2. Tugmon shared a communication from Joe Green regarding the Customer Service and its application to faculty. The e-mail, dated Sept. 25, 2006, read:
This communication is in response to the Faculty Policies Committee’s concerns about our Customer Service Improvement Plan’s possible intrusion into classroom management by faculty. The plan is not designed to interfere and/or compromise, in any way, the faculty’s academic freedom ot manage and/or control classroom behavior and classroom activities.
As I indicated to you during our telephone discussion, I welcome someone from your committee to serve as a Customer Service Ambassador.
Please feel free to let me know if you have additional questions or concerns.
3. Tom Cobert reported on his research into the Board of Regents and ASU policies for Student Technology Fees. Rick Pukis reported on his research into how Student Technology Fees are distributed and used on other University System of Georgia schools. The committee asked Tom and Rick to meet with Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs Bill Dodd regarding the possible need to revise the ASU policy, which has not been revisited in about six years.
4. Tugmon announced that the new name for the fine arts gallery is “New Space Gallery.”
5. With regard to the constitution of the Lyceum Committee in the wake of new departments being created, Tugmon said she plans to meet with the four departments to see what they think should happen regarding committee membership.
6. Tugmon reported back on the matter of whether the decision to put Cullum Lecture Series on hiatus in 2008 needs faculty approval. She said Dodd advised her that since the lecture series is only going on hiatus (i.e., the Cullum Committee is being suspended for a year), Faculty Policies could take that action without approval of the entire faculty. Cathy will draft a statement to send to the faculty and forward it to FPC members for approval.
7. Pam Jackson circulated a proposed faculty grievance policy for members to review. It will be discussed further at the next meeting.
8. Myers reported on the project to define committee structure at ASU, and she asked members when they want her to collect information about committee mission and structure. Members agreed this needs to be done by the end of the current calendar year.
9. Tugmon announced a meeting for this Saturday, October 7, in Millegeville, of system faculty regarding changes to the ORP retirement plan. Because we have a faculty benefits committee that addresses those issues, the meeting announcement was forwarded to the committee chair, Dalton Brannen.
10. Tom Colbert will bring food next week.
11. The meeting adjourned at 3:39 p.m.
Debbie van Tuyll
Debbie van Tuyll