Faculty Policies Meeting - Sept. 11, 2006
Attending: Attending: Carol Rychly, Charles Jackson, Pam Jackson, Rick Pukis, Robert Reeves, Mike Searles, Jim Benedict, Tom Colbert, Sam Myers, Donna Hobbs (acting chair), and Debbie van Tuyll (secretary)
Hobbs, acting chair in Tugmon’s absence (due to a jury summons), called the meeting to order at 2:30 p.m.
1. Minutes were approved for the August 21 and August 28 meetings.
2. The committee returned to the issue discrepancy between number of classroom minutes this semester between MWF and TR classes. Benedict agreed to verify that the discrepancy gives bonus minutes to the TR classes and does not put the MWF classes below the required minimum amount of class meeting time. If that is indeed the case, the committee agreed again that how to deal with the extra minutes s is an issue for effected faculty to decide for themselves.
3. Committee members discussed further what to do about the post-tenure review committees now that the College of Arts and Sciences has two new departments. Several options were considered for revising the college’s three post-tenure review committees, and Rychly agreed to discuss the proposed reorganization schemes with the departments that would be affected. This discussion also included an examination of each instance in the Faculty Policies manual where departments are listed or mentioned to determine what should be done to revise those sections to include the two new departments. Members agreed to ask Tugmon to check with the Music and Art people to see whether buildings and programs currently referred to as “Fine Arts” would be changing their names.
4. Pam Jackson said she is still working on the faculty grievance procedure.
5. Hobbs reported on her subcommittee’s efforts to determine who has faculty voting rights. The committee clarified some of the issues that need to be addressed in the subcommittee’s work.
6. Charles Jackson reported that he has spoken with Kathy Hamrick about arranging for faculty who want second parking tags to be able to get them for an additional fee. Hamrick agreed to take the issue to the president’s council, which was meeting today.
7. Benedict announced the appointment of the Cullum Study Committee. The new committee is charged with determining what should happen with the Cullum Lecture Series now that funding is defunct. Benedict said the Cullum Study Committee would be forwarding a recommendation to FPC in the next few weeks regarding the 2008 Cullum Lecture Series.
8. Myers reported on her investigation of the current committee structure. Standing committees appear to deal with issues related to governance, but she found no such consistent purpose for the other kinds of committees that exist. She has found few ad hoc committees, but a number of permanent committees about which little information appears to be available. The only rule that appears to exist governing ad hoc committees allows them to become permanent committees, but there are no rules that she could find governing the constitution of committees or establishing their purpose. FPC agreed that the lack of information about permanent committees needs to be corrected. Myers will continue to seek a source of information regarding the constitution and charge of permanent committees and also to determine where this information should be published if it is not already published somewhere. She will begin her search with Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs Bill Dodd.
Van Tuyll agreed to bring the food next week.
Meeting adjourned at 3:40 p.m.
Debbie van Tuyll