Faculty Policies Minutes – Feb. 12, 2006
Attending: Carol Rychly, Rick Pukis, Mike Searles, Jim Benedict, Donna Hobbs, Pam Jackson, Sam Myers, Robert Reeves, Tom Colbert, Cathy Tugmon (chair), and Debbie van Tuyll (secretary).
1. Minutes of the Feb. 5 meeting were approved as written with one correction; in the list of departmental assignments for the faculty workload survey, the English department was corrected to read “E&FL.”
2. Tugmon reported on her recent meeting with Drs. Sullivan and Bloodworth. Dr. Bloodworth discussed ideas for soliciting more information from faculty about their perceptions. Tugmon encouraged committee members to attend one of the Food for Thought meetings the president will be hosting this semester and asked that we encourage our colleagues to attend as well.
Sullivan approved the procedure adopted for surveying faculty regarding workload and agreed to fund the thank-you gifts for secretaries who help out. Members should let Tugmon know which secretaries will be handling the survey so the VPAA’s office can advance the funds to their Jag cards. Van Tuyll will work on a letter to go with the surveys that will include directions. Tugmon will work on a letter to go to faculty regarding the surveys. The surveys will go to full time tenure track faculty.
Sullivan also responded to P. Jackson’s question regarding whether any groups other than FPC are working on grievance procedures. According to Sullivan, none are.
Tugmon also informed Sullivan that the Cullum report will be coming to him shortly; Benedict is finishing it up.
Finally, Sullivan said he had not heard rumors regarding a change in the policy of which students get to participate in graduation.
3. For information, Tugmon informed the committee of that the UGa system is considering whether to require background checks of all employees.
4. Rychly distributed a revised timetable for the Faculty Development and Faculty Research funding process. Van Tuyll will include the changes with the policy revisions she and Jackson have been working on.
5. Tugmon said she is still waiting for information about alumni scholarships and asked to postpone a decision on constitution of the Scholarship Committee until she gets it. The committee agreed.
6. Tugmon reported that both English and Foreign Languages and Communications and Professional Writing want members on the Lyceum committee, as do both Music and Art. That means also adding two new student members, bringing the total number of committee members to 26. These additions will require revised terms, and the committee agreed to ask Benedict to work out what those terms should be.
7. The Post-tenure Review Policy was approved and forwarded to University Council.
9. P. Jackson will bring food next week.
10. The meeting adjourned at 3:50.
Debbie van Tuyll