Faculty Policies Minutes – Feb. 12, 2007
Attending: Carol Rychly, Rick Pukis, Jim Benedict, Donna Hobbs, Pam Jackson, Sam Myers, Robert Reeves, Tom Colbert, Cathy Tugmon (chair), and Debbie van Tuyll (secretary).
1. Minutes of the Feb. 12 meeting were approved as written.
2. Tugmon reported on last week’s University Council meeting at which a question arose regarding the responsibilities of the Academic Policies Committee. The policy is unclear with regard to how certain matters will be reported out of committee, and Rychly agreed to work on revising the policy to make it clearer. Tugmon also reported that the president and vice president for academic affairs have decided to do annual evaluations of administrators rather than bi-annual evaluations.
3. The committee voted to include one representative of the Office of Development and Alumni Affairs on the Scholarships Committee.
4. The committee approved changing the constitution of the Lyseum Committee to include nine faculty, nine students, and a number of ex-officio members. Those members are specified in the policy, but sometimes the actual number varies. For example, the policy allows for membership of the current Cullum committee chair, but this year, there are co-chairs, so to use an exact number for the ex-officio members may cause problems in particular circumstances.
5. Tugmon announced that the seminar on legal matters for members of FPC will be March 23. Time and place will be announced later.
6. Minor changes were approved to the policy revision regarding the constitution and charge of the Faculty Development and Faculty Research Committee. The policy will be ready to go forward once C. Jackson finishes his section of the policy and returns from being sick.
7. Hobb announced that the preparations for faculty elections are proceeding
8. Benedict reported that he would be forwarding this week the report on the Cullum Lecture series to the vice president for academic affairs.
9. Myers reported that her work on revising and reviewing the charge and constitution of committees is progressing.
10. Myers will bring food next week.
Debbie van Tuyll