Faculty Policies Minutes – Feb. 5, 2007
Attending: Carol Rychly, Charles Jackson, Rick Pukis, Mike Searles, Jim Benedict, Donna Hobbs, Pam Jackson, Sam Myers, Robert Reeves, Tom Colbert, Cathy Tugmon (chair), and Debbie van Tuyll (secretary).
1. Minutes of the Jan. 29 meeting were approved as written.
2. Tugmon reported on her recent meeting with Drs. Sullivan and Bloodworth. They discussed the continued need to have the Student Technology Fee Committee structure changed; the need for a decision on the Cullum Lecture Series; the need for official notification to the campus of the change in graduation policy; the need for a procedure to be developed that allows for honors chords to be distributed; the need for equity between the frequency of evaluations of faculty and evaluations of administrators with faculty status (faculty are evaluated annually; administrators are evaluated only every other year)
3. Committee members agreed on a procedure for soliciting information about faculty workload. A questionnaire will be developed and distributed to departments and colleges. Secretaries will be asked to ensure 100 percent compliance within their departments, and the committee agreed to seek funding to allow for a $10 Jag-card award to be given to secretaries who help with this process. Some committee members though Reeves would make a good donor for this. Results of the survey will be considered in deciding whether any further action is necessary to acquire the necessary information. Responsibility for working with departments and colleges was divided up as follows:
Tugmon –Biology Pukis – Art, E&FL
Benedict – Music, Sociology Searles – History
van Tuyll – Comm & Prof. Writing Rychly – Math
Reeve – Psychology Jackson (C.) – Education
Jackson (P) – Business Colbert – Learning Support
4. Faculty elections were scheduled by consensus for March 19 (primary); March 26 (general election); and April 9 (run-off, if necessary).
Members reviewed the post-tenure review committee constitution policy with
regard to how committees should be structured for the
6. Tugmon reported that information is still being gathered that will guide the discussion on the requested changes to the constitution of the Scholarship Committee.
8. Van Tuyll presented the most recent revisions to the policy being developed to guide the Faculty Research and Faculty Development Committee’s work. Committee members specifically asked for the policy to be broadened to include consideration of non-travel related funding requests. C. Jackson will continue his work with the content of the FRFD Committee’s call for proposals and its various forms to see if they can be revised to be less travel specific. Rychly and Benedict will discuss the timing of the calls and the funding for proposals at the next meeting
9. Searles will bring food next week.
10. The meeting adjourned at 3:50.
Debbie van Tuyll