Faculty Policies Minutes – March 19, 2007
Attending: Jim Benedict, Tom Colbert, Donna Hobbs, Charles Jackson, Pam Jackson, Sam Myers, Rick Pukis, Robert Reeves, Carol Rychly, Mike Searles, Cathy Tugmon (chair), Debbie van Tuyll (secretary); Ray Whiting, visiting
1. Minutes of the March 12 meeting were approved.
2. Ray Whiting made a presentation on a freshman attendance tracking system
he hopes to recommend be used at ASU to improve retention. This system has been used elsewhere, and retention rates have gone up. The system requires faculty to track freshman attendance for three weeks and to provide that information to administrators who then follow up with students who miss more than two consecutive classes. The committee endorsed the use of the Pathfinder Attendance system at ASU.
Whiting also told the committee that the Board of Regents will soon require
all campuses to have academic advising centers, and one possible means of addressing that at ASU is to move the UMAC Center from Student Affairs to Academic Affairs. The committee endorsed the proposal, with the proviso that the new center have faculty leadership.
3. Tugmon distributed the agenda for the Board of Regents legal training session
set for March 23. FPC members are encouraged to attend.
4. Tugmon said the president and vice president have asked FPC to consider whether it would be a good idea for them to meet with the committee once or twice a year. Members said they believed this would be a good idea.
5. Tugmon distributed the current draft of the response to the Cullum Study Committee’s report. Members made minor changes and agreed that once those are made, the response can be forwarded to Dr. Sullivan
6. Tugmon also distributed the latest version of the Faculty Research and Faculty Development Budget worksheet. Members agreed to forward it to the FRFD committee for their use. Members asked van Tuyll to redistribute the revised FRFD policies for one final review and agreed that if no one saw any problems with the policies, they are ready to be forwarded to Jeff Heck to be placed on the agenda of the next faculty meeting.
7. Benedict will bring food next week.
Debbie van Tuyll, secretary