Faculty Policies Committee Minutes
November 10, 2008
Members present: Ted Atkinson, Rob Bledsoe, Tom Crute, Paula Dohoney, Wally Evans, Mark Fissel, Wayne Mixon, Bruce Saul, Jana Sandarg, Mike Searles, Robert Smalley, Steve Weis.
1) Tom called the FPC Committee to order at 2:30pm.
2) Minutes from 3November were approved. They will be posted soon.
3) The FPC discussed Dr. Sullivan’s summary of the ASU Study Abroad Program (SABR). Faculty concerns were summarized and a subcommittee was established to examine the new SABR handbook for professors who wish to teach abroad. The subcommittee will help determine if the FPC should recommend additional items be added to the handbook.
4) Tom distributed an informational history of the rank of Lecturer. The group discussed advantages and disadvantages of the proposed addition to the ASU Faculty Handbook. Questions arose concerning the precise differences between the Instructor and Lecturer ranks. Tom will canvas the Deans to determine a clearer picture of these differences before proceeding.
5) Discussions about where to place “intellectual diversity” in our ASU documents continued. Tom provided information on this addition to documents from other USG institutions and the FPC noted several of these inserted the topic into student documents. Wally made some excellent suggestions that will be pursued at the next meeting.
6) All other items will be moved to the meeting on 17Nov08.
Adjourned at 3:50 pm.