Faculty Policies Committee Minutes
September 15, 2008
Members present: Ted Atkinson, Rob Bledsoe, Tom Crute, Paula Dohoney, Wally Evans, Mark Fissel, Wayne Mixon, Jana Sandarg, Bruce Saul, Mike Searles, Robert Smalley.
1) Tom called the FPC Committee to order at 2:30pm.
2) Minutes from 8September were approved with no corrections. They will be posted soon. Tom relayed that Bruce was reviewing and archiving the past (8 years of FPC) minutes so they will be easily accessible.
3) New Faculty Luncheon – Robert summarized the final plans for the event scheduled at the Pinnacle Club on 19September at 1:00pm. Jana, Ted, Wally and Steve will arrive early to assist in final preparations.
4) Tom submitted a new proposed Faculty Manual Section 107.1.1 with the addition of a new University Council member and the correction of the name of the Hull College of Business. The FPC voted to recommend these changes be accepted by the faculty.
5) The FPC was asked to consider the addition of three new campus committee members. Discussions resulted in the Committee appointments of Paula to the Program Advisory, Bruce to the Institutional Fee Review and Robert to the University Ceremonies.
6) Grievance Policy – the FPC discussed the addition of the words “intellectual diversity” to the current policy. A subcommittee of Ted, Rob and Steve will look at the policies of other institutions and recommend whether to establish another committee or appoint an ombudsman to assist in the process or offer another template. They will also make recommendations to clarify our existing policy. Robert volunteered to meet with Tom to critically evaluate the current grievance procedures and discuss their findings with the subcommittee established today.
7) Student Code of Conduct – Tom distributed summaries of the existing and working models of our Student Code. After some discussion, Mark and Jana will appoint other subcommittee members (from students and faculty) and interview the appropriate students/administrators before making recommendations.
8) Security – the FPC discussed the current classroom security rules and the potential changes that may occur.
9) Several other important issues were tabled until the next FPC meeting.
The next meeting will be on 22September.
Adjourned at 3:55pm.