Faculty Policies Committee Minutes
November 17, 2008
Members present: Ted Atkinson, Rob Bledsoe, Tom Crute, Paula Dohoney, Mark Fissel, Wayne Mixon, Bruce Saul, Jana Sandarg, Mike Searles, Robert Smalley, Steve Weis.
1) Tom called the FPC Committee to order at 2:35pm.
2) Minutes from 10November were approved. They will be posted soon.
3) Tom informed the group that the Cullum deletions from the Faculty Manual have been processed.
4) Tom relayed that in the meeting President Bloodworth and VPAA Sullivan, it was conveyed that the “intellectual diversity” language needed to be placed in the ASU Grievance Procedure according to a BOR request. After a discussion about the placement of this information in other universities’ documents, no conclusions were reached.
5) Mark led a discussion about rewriting the Code of Conduct in the ASU Student Handbook. He summarized his subcommittee’s fruitful meeting with Dr. Joyce Jones and the positive suggestions that arose from that effort. Mark’s subcommittee will summarize the edited information before the beginning of Spring semester so that the FPC can finalize their efforts during that time period.
6) The FPC discussed the subcommittee’s examination of the new SABR handbook for professors who wish to teach abroad. The subcommittee members will compile a list of additional items to be reviewed next week.
7) Grievance Policy revisions were summarized by Tom and discussed. Information in the Manual may not be in the best format, so more details will be discussed next week.
8) The Course Evaluation Instrument needs to be reviewed this year. A subcommittee of campus representatives will join Mike, Rob and Tom in their review process. An automated format was discussed as a possible option this time.
9) All other items will be moved to the meeting on 24Nov08.
Adjourned at 3:55 pm.