Faculty Policies Committee Minutes
October 20, 2008
Members present: Ted Atkinson, Rob Bledsoe, Tom Crute, Paula Dohoney, Mark Fissel, Wayne Mixon, Jana Sandarg, Bruce Saul, Mike Searles, Robert Smalley, Steve Weis.
1) Tom called the FPC Committee to order at 2:30pm.
2) Minutes from 13October were approved. They will be posted soon.
3) Tom summarized his meeting with Drs. Bloodworth and Sullivan by reviewing the following discussion topics: the rank of lecturer and senior lecturer; promotion and tenure; and study abroad.
4) The FPC discussed the rank of lecturer and senior lecturer at length. While these positions are briefly noted in the BOR Handbook, ASU has no information in the Faculty Handbook. A motion was made to refrain from listing this rank in the Faculty Manual and recommend no future faculty be hired at this designation. After a second was received, further discussion raised some background questions. The FPC voted to table the motion until next meeting, when some of the background materials would be presented by Tom and Bruce.
5) Tom shared information from the President of the ASU Emeriti Association, Mary-Kathleen Blanchard, about proposed Teachers Retirement System changes. While some FPC members noted that they were part of the ORP and there were problems with the “system”, our group represents the entire faculty and all retirement options should be supported. The FPC will recommend to the UC that someone from the ASU Emeriti Association be scheduled to make a presentation concerning the TRS proposal to the Faculty in November.
6) The FPC discussed a list of concerns about ASU Study Abroad Program. An additional concern about expected outcomes and course rigor was proposed. The FPC concluded that advertisements of Study Abroad sponsored trips should clearly state whether ASU class credits would be earned. A final set of recommendations will be discussed next week and a representative from the Program will be invited to a weekly meeting.
7) Mark Fissel distributed notes taken during a subcommittee meeting held last week that dealt with modification of the student code of conduct. Finalizing these changes will be discussed next week.
8) All other items will be moved to the meeting on 27Oct08.
Adjourned at 4:10 pm.