Faculty Policies Committee Minutes
September 22, 2008
Members present: Ted Atkinson, Rob Bledsoe, Tom Crute, Paula Dohoney, Wally Evans, Mark Fissel, Wayne Mixon, Bruce Saul, Mike Searles, Robert Smalley, Steve Weis.
1) Tom called the FPC Committee to order at 2:35pm.
2) Minutes from 15September were approved with no corrections. They will be posted soon.
3) The FPC thanked Robert & his committee for their work in setting up the New Faculty Luncheon and relayed kudos to Tom for his leadership at the event.
4) Tom reviewed the topics covered at his meeting with Drs. Bloodworth and Sullivan, discussing grievances/complaints, incorporation of intellectual diversity into our policies, rewriting of some procedural pathways, course oversight, summer budgetary concerns and other upcoming FPC issues.
5) Wally distributed web documents that explained the role of an ombudsman at other institutions. The FPC discussed the possibility of using such a position to handle mediation of certain complaints.
6) The FPC reviewed procedural questions that have developed as the result of some ASU course offerings. After substantial discussion, a subcommittee will bring more information to the group next week. The committee hopes to determine if more standardized procedures are necessary.
7) Mark introduced the results of his subcommittee’s initial work on the Student Code of Conduct topic. He reviewed plans to interview the appropriate students/administrators before making recommendations.
8) Tom distributed concise flow charts of our current and draft (07-08) grievance policies. The FPC discussed the differences in “real” versus “perceived” issues and how to settle that potential problem. This topic will be revisited next week.
9) Several other important issues were tabled until the next FPC meeting.
The next meeting will be on 29September.
Adjourned at 3:50pm.