Faculty Policies Committee Minutes
November 24, 2008
Members present: Ted Atkinson, Rob Bledsoe, Tom Crute, Paula Dohoney, Wally Evans, Mark Fissel, Bruce Saul, Jana Sandarg, Mike Searles, Robert Smalley, Steve Weis.
1) Tom called the FPC Committee to order at 2:35pm.
2) Minutes from 17November were approved. They will be posted soon.
3) The FPC unanimously approved catalog changes
requested by Dean Harrison from the
4) At the request of a faculty member, the group discussed the Faculty Research and Faculty Development Committee’s role as delineated in the Faculty Manual. Topics included: the ranking process, funding levels, applicant pool and access to successful applications. Tom will review discussion points with that committee.
5) Tom distributed a document that summarized differences between the Lecturer and Instructor positions at ASU. Extensive discussions covered: BOR mandates, job descriptions, tenure versus non-tenure status, “defacto” tenure, details to place in the Faculty Manual and necessity to finalize. We will invite Bill Dodd and possibly Ray Whiting to clarify questions before proceeding.
6) All other items will be moved to the meeting on 1December08.
Adjourned at 4:10 pm.