Faculty Policies Committee Minutes
August 25, 2008
Members present: Ted Atkinson, Rob Bledsoe, Tom Crute, Paula Dohoney, Wally Evans, Mark Fissel, Wayne Mixon, Jana Sandarg, Bruce Saul, Mike Searles, Robert Smalley, Steve Weis.
1) Tom called the 08-09 FPC Committee to order at 2:30pm. Members introduced themselves to each other.
2) Minutes from 28April were approved with minor corrections and will be posted on our web page.
3) Carry-over topics from UC – the Bell Award guidelines have been adjusted and standardized. Discussion centered on how other faculty award guidelines were structured. The Five-Year Initiatives were reviewed and summarized; the FPC will sponsor an open forum on 9September to handle faculty concerns.
4) New “Cullum” – Dean Parham will be coordinating a new program to take the place of “Cullum”. A scholar will be invited to campus in the Spring for activities that will involve the ASU community. More details will be forthcoming.
5) New Faculty Luncheon – Robert summarized the plans for the event scheduled at the Pinnacle Club on 19September at 1:00pm. He will be assisted by Steve, Wally, Ted and Jana. Mike relayed that the Faculty Club will also have a function (soon) to welcome new faculty.
6) Grievance Policy – the FPC discussed our charge to modify or accept the current policy. Tom summarized the involvement of the Board of Regents and State Legislature in intellectual diversity and recommended our keeping this topic on the agenda for more discussion.
7) Expected Student Conduct – as relates to the above mentioned policy. More discussion scheduled.
The next meeting will be on 8September.
Adjourned at 3:55pm.