Faculty Policies Committee Minutes
October 27, 2008
Members present: Ted Atkinson, Rob Bledsoe, Tom Crute, Paula Dohoney, Wally Evans, Mark Fissel, Wayne Mixon, Bruce Saul, Mike Searles, Robert Smalley.
1) Tom called the FPC Committee to order at 2:30pm.
2) Minutes from 20October were approved. They will be posted soon.
3) Tom distributed the Proposal for the Revised Procedure on Intellectual Diversity which was shared with the University Council (23Oct) in preparation for the next General Faculty Meeting (4Nov). He reviewed some discussions that took place at the UC meeting which brought out some additional concerns. Further FPC discussions included: the proposed informal resolution process utilizing the Dean of Students, wording of the statement, academic freedom issues, curriculum standards, and expected classroom behavior. It was decided that the proposal needs further clarification and it would be removed from the Agenda for the 4Nov. faculty meeting.
4) The FPC discussed a modified list of concerns about ASU Study Abroad Program. A final list of discussion points was approved and Dr. Sullivan will be invited to the 3Nov. meeting.
5) The FPC agreed to let Tom and Jeff Heck modify the Faculty Manual to remove “Cullum” from lecture series references.
6) All other items will be moved to the meeting on 3Nov08.
Adjourned at 3:55 pm.