Faculty Policies Committee Minutes
October 6, 2008
Members present: Ted Atkinson, Rob Bledsoe, Tom Crute, Paula Dohoney, Wally Evans, Mark Fissel, Wayne Mixon, Jana Sandarg, Bruce Saul, Mike Searles, Robert Smalley, Steve Weis.
1) Tom called the FPC Committee to order at 2:30pm.
2) Minutes from 29September were approved with no corrections. They will be posted soon.
3) Tom summarized his meeting with Drs. Bloodworth and Sullivan by reviewing the following discussion topics: grievance process to include protection of constitutional rights; possibility of an on-campus Ombudsperson; USG Faculty Council priorities; budget realities; promotion and tenure; protection of faculty positions.
4) The FPC discussed the USG Faculty Council letter that will be sent to the USG Core Curriculum Revision Committee. Corrections or additions will be forwarded to Tom within two days and an updated letter will be reviewed next week. The FPC voted unanimously to accept the UGS Faculty Council Bylaws.
5) The FPC narrowed their review of the course approval process to the ASU Study Abroad Program. Discussion topics included: current course approval procedures verses a more standardized model; review of several Departmental offerings; and responses to faculty concerns about course rigor and financial aid. The committee will canvas their colleagues before 17October and send concerns to Wally who will summarize them. Once consolidated and discussed, the FPC will invite a representative from the Program to a weekly meeting.
6) The next item reviewed was our current Academic Dishonesty Policy. The FPC discussed removing ambiguities and work towards clarifying language. This topic will be revisited next week.
7) The Faculty Secretary, Jeff Heck, will maintain a section in the Faculty Manual for tracking changes and will “hyperlink” that information with the appropriate section.
8) The FPC subcommittee (Rob, Ted, Steve) charged with adding “intellectual diversity” to the ASU Grievance Policy presented the final version that was accepted unanimously.
9) Mark Fissel distributed notes taken during the subcommittee meeting dealing with modification of the student code of conduct. This will be discussed next week.
The next meeting will be on 13October.
Adjourned at 3:55pm.