Faculty Policies Committee Minutes
September 8, 2008
Members present: Ted Atkinson, Rob Bledsoe, Tom Crute, Paula Dohoney, Wally Evans, Mark Fissel, Wayne Mixon, Jana Sandarg, Bruce Saul, Mike Searles, Robert Smalley, Steve Weis.
1) Tom called the FPC Committee to order at 2:30pm.
2) Minutes from 25August were approved with no corrections. They will be posted on our web page.
3) Tom summarized his meeting with Drs. Bloodworth and Sullivan, discussing grievances, intellectual diversity, 5-Year Initiatives, and potential upcoming FPC issues. The FPC revisited the grievance issue and discussed how various parts of the process were embedded in student, faculty and administrative areas. Several past incidents were reviewed as examples that did not fit into our current policy. This topic will receive further attention next week.
4) Several other issues were raised dealing with the results of Tom’s meeting:
– the Bell Award guidelines will have a slight modification added before the faculty vote on 9Sept.
- the Five-Year Initiative Forum was summarized and it was concluded that these initiatives would probably be assimilated into planning assumptions.
- the newly established Threat Assessment Committee’s charge was summarized.
- evaluations (on several levels) and new course approvals were discussed at some length.
- the FPC will consider a request to recommend adding another appointed member to the University Council.
5) New Faculty Luncheon – Robert summarized the final plans for the event scheduled at the Pinnacle Club on 19September at 1:00pm.
6) Several other important issues were tabled until the next FPC meeting.
The next meeting will be on 15September.
Adjourned at 3:55pm.