Faculty Policies Committee Minutes
January 12, 2009
Members present: Rob Bledsoe, Tom Crute, Paula Dohoney, Wally Evans, Mark Fissell, Wayne Mixon, Bruce Saul, Jana Sandarg, Mike Searles, Robert Smalley, Steve Weis.
1) Tom called the FPC Committee to order at 2:30pm.
2) Minutes from 1December were approved. They will be posted soon.
3) The FPC discussed the criteria used to fund proposals submitted to the Faculty Research and Faculty Development Committee. Based on this discussion, it was determined that the priorities used in Fall 08 did not exclude funding opportunities for qualified applicants.
4) Mark led a discussion about the status of the ASU Student Handbook revision and the necessity to create a Student Code of Conduct. Topics covered included: current materials that are published; identification and organization of additional information; tasks relegated to the FPC; existing honesty policies at other institutions; need to parallel Faculty Handbook; links to intellectual diversity and subsequent expectations; approval process concerning additions and deletions to Handbook; and student awareness of information in Handbook.
5) The Study Abroad Procedures Subcommittee will meet before 26January.
6) Tom circulated proposed changes to the current Academic Honesty Procedures. Discussions included: timelines, accountability, academic levels of involvement and potential problems. Tom will modify and return to the committee at the next meeting.
7) All other items will be moved to the meeting on 26January09.
Adjourned at 4:05 pm.