Faculty Policies Committee Minutes
April 13, 2009
Members present: Ted Atkinson, Rob Bledsoe, Tom Crute, Paula Dohoney, Wally Evans, Mark Fissel, Bruce Saul, Jana Sandarg, Mike Searles, Robert Smalley, Steve Weiss.
1) Tom called the FPC Committee to order at 2:35pm.
2) Minutes from 30March were approved. They will be posted soon.
3) The FPC voted unanimously to reappoint Jeff Heck as Faculty Secretary.
4) Rob gave an Election Subcommittee summary, noting that there was no need for a run-off and the newly elected faculty members will be announced.
5) Tom reminded everyone about the General Faculty Meeting on 14April and our last FPC meeting for this academic year would be on 27April.
6) The FPC discussed placement of the ASU Permanent Committees (and their charges) on the web and in the Faculty Manual. Topics covered were: best placement; standardized format; to add missing committees; and faculty input. Rob and Robert will work on standardizing current listings.
7) The FPC revisited the post-tenure review cycle for chairs. Topics covered were: BOR mandates; administrative versus teaching duties; modification of Faculty Role Model (FRM); time-line for, access to, and usefulness of reviews; adaptability of current instrument by modifying FRM percentages of effort in Teaching, Service and Professional Development; reflective advantages of process. The group voted to support continued post-tenure review for chairs and for post-tenure review committees to take into account the additional service component of chairs’ administrative duties.
8) The recommendations for SABR courses will be discussed with Dr. Sullivan next week.
9) Student Code of Conduct modifications will be finalized next week
10) Other items will be moved to the meeting on 20April09.
Adjourned at 4:05 pm.