Faculty Policies Committee Minutes
September 14, 2009
Members present: Peter Basciano, Angela Bratton, Kim Davies, Paula Dohoney, Wally Evans, Mark Fissel, Bruce Saul, Christine Terry, Mike Searles, Donna Wear, Eric Zuckerman
1) Wally called the meeting to order at 2:35pm.
2) Minutes from 31August were approved. They will be posted soon.
3) Wally advised the FPC members to email Sudha with food preferences for the New Faculty/Mentor Luncheon that will be held at the JSAC Ballroom on 2October at noon.
4) Paula distributed a list of ASU Committees and suggested ways to make it easier for the FPC to appoint members to them. The subsequent extensive discussion covered the following topics: separating those committees that rotate members from those that do not; placement of committees under new or current headings; modification of the Handbook; relationship of various committees with colleges rather than the University; removal of several committees from Committee List; and placement of Post-Tenure Committees. A subcommittee of Paula, Christine & Kim will look into these topics and handle additional questions that were raised.
5) The FPC discussed ways to appoint faculty from the Library and Learning Support to various campus committees.
6) Wally reminder the FPC that Dr. Debra Richardson will visit the FPC on 21September at 3pm to discuss our new Teaching Center. Dr. Bloodworth will visit the group on 28September.
7) The group read over the furlough statements developed by the local AAUP Chapter and voted to endorse these recommendations.
8) Eric asked that the FPC look into recommending a change of our grading system to include “plus” and “minus” options. A subcommittee of Eric and Kim will look into that possibility.
9) The next FPC meeting will be on September 21st at 2:30 in SH 1012W.
Adjourned at 4:00 pm.