Faculty Policies Committee Minutes
February 16, 2009
Members present: Ted Atkinson, Rob Bledsoe, Tom Crute, Paula Dohoney, Wally Evans, Mark Fissell, Wayne Mixon, Jana Sandarg, Bruce Saul, Mike Searles, Robert Smalley, Steve Weis.
1) Tom called the FPC Committee to order at 2:30pm.
2) Minutes from 9February were approved after corrections were accepted. They will be posted soon.
3) The FPC reviewed placement of the Intellectual Diversity Statement in ASU documents. It was suggested that it be included in three documents: 1) Student Handbook within the alphabetical listings; 2) Faculty Manual before Section 850; and 3) University Catalog before “Academic Honesty”. The FPC voted unanimously to add the Statement to those documents.
4) Mark noted that the Student Code of Conduct Subcommittee met last week and will meet again this week. Students on the committee were in agreement with changes that had been suggested by Mark and Jana. They will begin the document with an “Honor Code” and then insert information about expected behaviors. The Subcommittee is also seeking input from ITS and Public Safety for issues involving students. Once the final draft is prepared, the FPC will be able to make suggestions for improvements.
5) Steve summarized results from the Study Abroad Procedures Subcommittee. The FPC discussed these findings and will recommend adding clarifications to the Procedures Manual. Steve’s Subcommittee will make corrections that will be reviewed next week.
6) Other items will be moved to the meeting on 23February09.
Adjourned at 4:10 pm.