Faculty Policies Committee Minutes
March 16, 2009
Members present: Ted Atkinson, Rob Bledsoe, Tom Crute, Paula Dohoney, Wally Evans, Mark Fissel, Wayne Mixon, Jana Sandarg, Bruce Saul, Mike Searles, Steve Weiss.
1) Tom called the FPC Committee to order at 2:35pm.
2) Minutes from 9March were approved after corrections were accepted. They will be posted soon.
3) Rob gave an Election Subcommittee summary noting that the sample ballot will be complete today and the election process will begin the week of 23March.
4) Tom asked that the Committee on Committees (Paula, Mike, Jana, Robert, Tom) meet to decide when the faculty should submit their requests and to determine a deadline for these requests. Once elections have been completed, new FPC members will be chosen to replace Jana, Robert and Tom.
5) Tom presented the results of the Course Evaluation Subcommittee. The group reviewed the recommended format of a new one page Scantron survey. Discussions covered: costs of new forms; additional software purchase to allow all departments to have access; linkage of survey with Crystal reports; addition/deletion of questions; applicability to on-line classes; and clarified wording. The FPC voted unanimously to accept the changes and recommended sending the new form to the faculty.
6) Earlier in the academic year, the FPC was asked to update Section 400 in the Faculty Handbook to include Lecturer and Senior Lecturer, as denoted by the BOR. After discussions on several occasions and consultation with Vice President Dodd, a proposal by Tom was accepted unanimously. The document will be forwarded to the VPAA Office for another review.
7) Tom distributed an updated Student Code of Conduct proposal. Discussion topics included: inclusion of older, outdated sections of the Code; and linkages to relevant portions of the Faculty Handbook. Tom will seek a resolution through BOR documents and campus administrators. The FPC members again thanked Mark and his Subcommittee for their extensive labor on this project.
8) Other items will be moved to the meeting on 23March09.
Adjourned at 4:35 pm.