Faculty Policies Committee Minutes
October 19, 2009
Members present: Peter Basciano, Angela Bratton, Kim Davies, Wally Evans, Paula Dohoney, Sudha Ratan, Bruce Saul, Christine Terry, Mike Searles, Donna Wear, Eric Zuckerman
1) Wally called the meeting to order at 2:35pm.
2) Minutes from 12October were corrected approved. They will be posted soon.
3) Promotion and tenure process clarifications were discussed and approved. The group verified that a total of 20 pages of supplemental materials would be allowed in the application and these could be divided among the sections. Angela will bring the reworded parts of the Faculty Manual to the meeting next week.
4) The FPC discussed the wording and placement of the Background Clearance Form in the Manual. The wording will include “according to University System of Georgia policy” and be included at the end of the Section 431 Criteria.
5) Wally distributed “quick reference” documents for the Study Abroad Program. The group will review them next week.
6) Paula summarized the current organization of campus committees and made recommendations to restructure these groups. Christine shared another committee organizational chart with the potential numbers of faculty appointees. After discussing the best way to organize the committees and accommodate the most faculty appointees, the FPC voted unanimously to recommend (to the faculty) the categories submitted in Appendix A. The Faculty Manual will be modified to reflect these changes if accepted.
7) The FPC will discuss the Course Evaluation Instruments next week.
8) Wally relayed that future promotion and tenure instructions to faculty would be worded like the Faculty Manual.
9) The FPC will discuss H1N1 absenteeism after the CDC web site is consulted.
10) Paula distributed proposed Chair evaluation documents that were based on the Faculty Role Model. Discussion topics included: other College use of Chair evaluation instruments; components of the documents; topics covered in Section 700 of the Manual; agreement between Chair duties and evaluation. Kim will contact departmental chairs and other campus administrators to help align new evaluation documents and Section 700. This material will be reviewed soon.
11) The next FPC meeting will be on October 26th at 2:30 in SH 1012W.
Adjourned at 3:55 pm.
University Standing Committees
College Standing Committees
University Permanent Committees
· Quality Enhancement Project Committee
Administrative Work Groups, Etc.
University Chartered Committees