Faculty Policies Committee Minutes
February 23, 2009
Members present: Ted Atkinson, Rob Bledsoe, Tom Crute, Paula Dohoney, Wally Evans, Wayne Mixon, Jana Sandarg, Bruce Saul, Mike Searles, Robert Smalley, Steve Weis.
1) Tom called the FPC Committee to order at 2:30pm.
2) Minutes from 16February were approved after corrections were accepted. They will be posted soon.
3) Tom reminded the group that the new Academic Honesty Policy would be considered at the Faculty Meeting on 24February. There was a short discussion about potential areas of faculty concern.
4) Tom suggested that the Election Subcommittee start preparing the ballot for the week of 23March. That would give the FPC two weeks to have the Primary and General Election before Spring Break, and two weeks after the Break to address any needs for a “run-off”. The Subcommittee will be chaired by Rob with Jana, Mike, Paula and Bruce assisting.
5) Tom summarized the results of the last Course Evaluation Subcommittee meeting. There will be a new Scantron format along with some deletions and additions to the standard questions. The FPC discussed how to analyze “on-line” classes or those classes that do not “fit” the typical class format.
6) The FPC discussed the policy wording concerning a student grievance resulting from an Intellectual Diversity issue. The group felt that an impartial “ombudsman” such as a retired ASU professor could handle this type of complaint. Tom will look into that possibility before committing to rewriting the existing policy.
7) The FPC discussed the topic of student grade expectations at ASU.
8) The group discussed combining the Adopt-A-School Committee with a Service to K-12 Committee. Paula and Rob will ask members of those committees to present the FPC with a new “charge”. Further discussion involved modification to the Faculty Role Model so recognition of K-12 service would be formalized.
9) Steve summarized the Study Abroad Procedures Subcommittee’s recommended corrections from our last meeting. The discussion will continue next week.
10) Other items will be moved to the meeting on 2March09.
Adjourned at 4:10 pm.