Faculty Policies Committee Minutes
March 23, 2009
Members present: Ted Atkinson, Rob Bledsoe, Tom Crute, Wally Evans, Jana Sandarg, Bruce Saul, Mike Searles, Robert Smalley.
1) Tom called the FPC Committee to order at 2:40pm.
2) Minutes from 16March were approved after corrections were accepted. They will be posted soon.
3) Tom relayed information he learned at a recent University System meeting about the ORP and proposed System mergers. After discussions on both topics, the FPC recommended sharing the information at the faculty meeting on 24March.
4) Rob gave an Election Subcommittee summary, noting that the sample ballots for the primary election were distributed along with voting instructions on 23March. Members of the subcommittee will meet at 3pm on 25March to count ballots. Bruce will send out the sample general election documents on 30March. The group discussed ways to improve the voting process and use less paper.
5) Tom asked that the Committee on Committees announce to faculty that requests were open for committee assignments for the next academic year. The group should plan to meet shortly after 27April to assess faculty requests. ITS will summarize some of the data to help the committee streamline their information. The FPC discussed additional informational materials that should be added to the request form before next March.
6) The FPC was asked to consider changing the post tenure review policy by removing departmental chairs from the five year rotation plan. The rationale was that they are doing more administrative duties and fewer faculty tasks. The group was not in favor of this suggestion and will recommend a modified review system that will account for more administrative obligations. Ted will summarize suggestions and provide the group with a narrative next week.
7) Study Abroad Subcommittee materials were circulated and will be discussed next week. The group reviewed contact and credit hour policies from the BOR. These materials will be included in future recommendations.
8) Other items will be moved to the meeting on 30March09.
Adjourned at 4:15 pm.