Faculty Policies Committee Minutes
August 24, 2009
Members present: Peter Basciano, Angela Bratton, Kim Davies, Paula Dohoney, Wally Evans, Mark Fissel, Sudha Ratan, Bruce Saul, Mike Searles, Donna Wear, Eric Zuckerman
1) Wally called the first FPC Meeting of the new academic year to order at 2:40pm and members introduced themselves.
2) Minutes from 27April were corrected and approved. They will be posted soon.
3) New members appointed to FPC subcommittees or campus committees included: Employee Benefits - Peter; Fee Review – Bruce; Elections – Bruce, Kim, Eric, Mike
4) Wally discussed the Faculty Mentor Luncheon and where to hold that function. The FPC voted unanimously to have it at the JSAC Ballroom on 2Oct.
5) Mark shared a summary of the updated Student Code of Conduct. Thanks to Dr. Joyce Jones, we will be able to finalize our input soon.
6) The “proposed” Course Evaluation Instrument was discussed. Wally provided a history of the process and the FPC agreed that sufficient input was received from the Faculty Forum and Meetings. The Instrument was deemed satisfactory for “in-class” use and will be modified by Cathy Barner (ITS) for “on-line” use. The Instrument will not be used in this academic year. The FPC voted unanimously to forward the information to the University Council.
7) The FPC looked at a request to review the current Course Evaluation Instrument for SABR classes. Further discussions are planned once the new “SABR Procedures Manual” is released.
8) Wally summarized various issues that would be considered this year. The FPC began with discussions about ITS, computer policies and faculty cooperation. More information will be reviewed next week, after some background information is gathered.
9) The next FPC meeting will be on August 31st at 2:30 in SH 1012W.
Adjourned at 4:10 pm.