Faculty Policies Committee Minutes
January 26, 2009
Members present: Ted Atkinson, Rob Bledsoe, Tom Crute, Paula Dohoney, Mark Fissell, Bruce Saul, Mike Searles, Robert Smalley, Steve Weis.
1) Tom called the FPC Committee to order at 2:35pm.
2) Minutes from 12January were approved. They will be posted soon.
3) Tom relayed that the Course Evaluation Subcommittee met to discuss the current instrument. The committee members varied in their opinions of this survey. They will meet again for discussions and a recommendation.
4) Mark noted that the Student Code of Conduct Subcommittee will meet this week. Recommendations will be discussed at the next FPC meeting.
5) The Study Abroad Procedures Subcommittee met to review policies reflected in the procedures manual. Suggestions will be compiled and finalized over the next two weeks. The FPC will forward conclusions to Dr. Sullivan after final approval.
6) Program Termination Procedures were discussed and further information will be gathered for the next meeting.
7) Tom circulated suggested corrections to the Academic Honesty Procedures that were discussed at the last FPC meeting. The committee recommended language that would handle a situation in which an incident occurred in a class involving faculty from two or more colleges.
8) The FPC was asked to establish a Standing Committee called “Service to K-12 Schools”, combine it with “Adopt-A-School” and modify their charge. Additionally, the group was asked to modify the Faculty Role Model in Sections 421.2.6 and 421.3.5 to include language that recognizes faculty for service in those areas. Discussion topics included: language, committee components, faculty appointments and requests that are not in the FPC’s purview. Tom will ask that the request be clarified and modified.
9) A brief discussion was held about faculty rank characteristics and the interpretation of Bell Award Guidelines.
10) These and other items will be moved to the meeting on 2February09.
Adjourned at 4:05 pm.