Faculty Policies Committee Minutes
April 27, 2009
08/09 Members present: Ted Atkinson, Rob Bledsoe, Tom Crute, Paula Dohoney, Wally Evans, Mark Fissell, Wayne Mixon, Bruce Saul, Jana Sandarg, Mike Searles, Robert Smalley, Steve Weiss.
09/10 New members: Peter Basciano, Angela Bratton, Kim Davies, Sudha Rattan, Christine Terry, Donna Wear (1 year term), Eric Zuckerman
1) Tom called the FPC Committee to order at 2:40pm and introduced new members.
2) Minutes from 20April were corrected and approved. They will be posted soon.
3) Ted Atkinson
officially resigned from the FPC as he accepted a faculty appointment in
4) The FPC voted unanimously to place the ASU Permanent Committees (and their charges) on the web and in the Appendix of the Faculty Manual. The new Chair of the FPC will move this issue to the University Council in the Fall.
5) The “proposed” Course Evaluation Instrument was discussed and input from the Faculty Forum and Meetings was included. The “Instrument” was deemed satisfactory for “in-class” use and will be modified by Cathy Barner (ITS) for “on-line” use. The FPC voted unanimously to forward the information to the University Council after review from the 09/10 FPC committee.
6) The FPC recommendations to clarify some areas of the course approval process in the “SABR Procedures Manual” were given to the new FPC committee for their input. This will be discussed again in the Fall09.
7) The Student Code of Conduct modifications will be forwarded to Fall.
8) Issues to be considered in the Fall include: grievance procedure; role of faculty in technology control; procedures handbook for Chairs; part-time faculty section of Handbook needs work; FPC must appoint TWO faculty members to Ceremonies Committee; transparency in governance.
9) The outgoing FPC members were thanked and dismissed. The new FPC elected Wally Evans as Chair and buffaloed Bruce Saul into Secretary again.
10) Subcommittees appointed included: Committee on Committees = Wally, Paula, Mike, Peter, Kim; New Faculty Luncheon = Wally, Sudha, Christine; Student Code of Conduct = Mark, Donna
11) A general discussion followed concerning evaluations of all faculty and distribution of results.
12) The next FPC meeting will be on August 24th at 2:30 in SH 1012W, the conference room currently used by the FPC.
Adjourned at 4:30 pm.