Faculty Policies Committee Minutes
September 28, 2009
Members present: Peter Basciano, Angela Bratton, Kim Davies, Paula Dohoney, Wally Evans, Sudha Ratan, Bruce Saul, Christine Terry, Mike Searles, Donna Wear, Eric Zuckerman
1) Wally called the meeting to order at 2:35pm.
2) Wally welcomed Dr. Sullivan and opened the discussion on the grant process at ASU. Topics covered included: background of the process; steps to follow; perception of obtaining a grant versus reality; pre-grant submission meetings; post-grant award meetings and requirements; roles of each person involved in grant process; federal and state laws; past problems; sources of matching funds; application of release time. Dr. Sullivan invited members of the FPC to forward concerns or suggestions to his office and the group thanked him for his help.
3) Minutes from 21September were approved. They will be posted soon.
4) The group discussed an email from Katherine Sweeney that noted the “plus” and “minus” grading options would have to be approved by the BOR. If the changes are allowed, the new grading scale will only be used at ASU. Wally will communicate with Katherine and the Academic Policies Committee about our recommendations.
5) Donna asked the FPC to consider clarification of the maximum number (20) of supporting document pages for promotion based on the Faculty Role Model. There were other requirements noted that may need to be addressed in the Faculty Handbook. Angela will bring suggested additions to the next meeting.
6) The group noted that the Colleges of Business, Education, and Arts & Sciences review their faculty on different calendars. Further discussions will follow.
7) The remaining topics will be moved to the next FPC meeting on October 5th at 2:30 in SH 1012W.
Adjourned at 4:00 pm.