Faculty Policies Committee Minutes
November 2, 2009
Members present: Angela Bratton, Paula Dohoney, Wally Evans, Sudha Ratan, Bruce Saul, Christine Terry, Mike Searles, Donna Wear, Eric Zuckerman
1) Wally called the meeting to order at 2:35pm.
2) Minutes from 26October were approved. They will be posted soon.
3) The group discussed the implementation of combining the Recycling Committee with the new Green Committee. Questions arose about committee make up and student participation. This will be revisited next week.
4) Wally discussed Permanent versus Standing Committee structures compared to what is written in the Faculty Manual. Suggestions were made to recommend changing the Manual to separate those committees appointed by the FPC from those that were not. This will be finalized soon.
5) The FPC discussed the Arts & Sciences Chair Evaluation Instrument and how it would relate to the Faculty Role Model. Paula noted that this would impact several Colleges, and we should ask chairs if they would recommend changing the Faculty Manual to include the category, Administration. Recommendations will be made next week.
6) Eric noted that the Faculty Role Model Form is now available for on line submission. The FPC discussed its implementation and applicability to current practices in each department. Several weaknesses were noted and will be addressed next week.
7) The FPC noted that Todd Hoffman, Chair of the Faculty Research and Development Committee, submitted the Committee’s list of funded activities to the faculty. The group applauds the Committee for their transparency and commends them for accomplishing so much with limited funds.
8) The possibility of a Fall (2010) Break was discussed. Wally will invite Katherine Sweeney to a meeting to discuss limitations to that proposal.
9) Wally asked the group to discuss the use of commercial software on campus for screening plagiarism. Topics covered included: brands under campus consideration; costs associated with implementation; how to store past student submissions on campus; and sources of student work.
10) Wally asked for a volunteer to go to a USG System Advocacy meeting in Athens on 13Nov.
11) The next FPC meeting will be on November 9 at 2:30 in SH 1012W.
Adjourned at 3:45 pm.