Faculty Policies Committee Minutes
November 9, 2009
Members present: Peter Basciano, Angela Bratton, Kim Davies, Wally Evans, Mark Fissel, Sudha Ratan, Bruce Saul, Christine Terry, Mike Searles, Donna Wear, Eric Zuckerman
1) Wally called the meeting to order at 2:35pm.
2) Minutes from 2November were corrected and approved. They will be posted soon.
3) The group discussed the General Faculty Meeting proposals from the FPC including those for the Green Committee, standing committees, and promotion and tenure guidelines. Angela and Christine would be on hand to answer specific background questions about FPC recommendations.
4) Wally distributed information from Dean Miller about the FPC appointing three committee members for the post-tenure review of the Grover C. Maxwell Chair of Business Administration. Mark and Donna volunteered to fill two of the three requested positions. Wally will contact Dean Eisenman to request a nomination from his faculty.
5) The FPC continued discussion about the Arts & Sciences Chair Evaluation Instrument and how to incorporate the chairs’ administrative duties into the Faculty Manual. Kim and Sudha will make suggestions to change the Manual to clarify those duties. The topic will be revisited next week.
6) The FPC discussed campus-wide evaluation instruments and how each unit could handle that task. The topic will be revisited.
7) Wally invited Katherine Sweeney to next week’s meeting to discuss the possibility of a Fall (2010) Break.
8) Christine volunteered to act as FPC Secretary on 23 November while Bruce reports for Jury Duty.
9) Eric noted that the Spring furloughs may impact some laboratories that meet on Fridays. He will contact Walt Alexanderson to see if any alternatives are available.
10) The next FPC meeting will be on November 9 at 2:30 in SH 1012W.
Adjourned at 4:05 pm.